On a lovely sunny afternoon on Saturday, Grayshott travelled to Farncombe. Football was the warmup of choice, the lads showing cricket wasn’t their only talent. Except Stu who ran away at the sight of a football. 

Nathan decided to bat first after winning the toss despite Kieran asking for the opposite, to leave early for a holiday. 

The game started quickly with Cavannagh out second ball….. but somehow survived, he used that second chance to score 11. Wheble Jnr hit a few nice shots to fielders before also falling for 13. Lucas (the new all-rounder) came in at 3 and quickly walked back to the boundary for 4. Matt Jackson scored a single of his first few balls. Then decided to get out 40 balls later still with 1 to his name. It wasn’t looking to good for Grayshott who were 35-4.

In comes the skipper to steady the ship, unfortunately that ship was the Titanic, he departed for 8. Wheble Snr was in and out for 2. Luckily the tail came to the rescue (when the ball decided to stop swinging a mile) Kennedy started to hit a few of the bad balls to the boundary. Partnered by Billy Mcbride they started to make the score a little more respectable. Unfortunately they fell quickly after each other, In came Ford and Wells, who put on a 25 run partnership. Wells fell after falling over to a full ball. Smithy came in to a fabulous sweep shot for 4. This would prove to be vital in the second innings. Luckily we managed to survive till the 48th over meaning Farncombe would have to chase down 118 in 42 overs. Special mentions to L.Hudson who finished with brilliant figures of 14-4-23-5. 

It was now time for Farncombe to bat, Grayshott were looking to take early wickets in an effort to stem the runs. Wells and Hutchinson opened the bowling, Lucas bowled well for his 5 over spell only conceding 10 runs. A huge mix up from the batsmen in the first few overs meant Lucas had all the time in the world to take the bails off with both batters down at one end, he still dropped the ball just to make it a little closer. A few overs passed and Farncombe started to add a few more runs until Wells cleaned bowled Luff. Farncombe were now 30-2. Shortly after Wells trapped the dangerous Appleton lbw for 22. Leaving Farncombe 38-3.

Billy “Whiz” came onto bowl and made it difficult for the batsmen to get anything away. After plugging away Jaggard tried to come down the pitch to a wider ball. With him missing it. Wheble jnr snatched up the opportunity at a stumping. Leaving Farncombe 46-4. Edwards and Kamoto put on a small partnership before the captaincy brilliance of Phillimore brought on Ford to bowl out Kamoto for 10 with his 3rd ball, 56-5. Johanson came into bat and this is when the pendulum swung back into Farncombes favour. With a 40 run partnership it was slipping from Grayshott’s fingers.

This until the veteran Smith came onto to bowl his “spin”. He bowled out Edwards for 20. 98-6. The returning Wells came back on for S Durrant to chip one into the air to Mcbride 100-7. Only a few balls later Farncombe decided to run a quick single to the most agile/keen fielder in the team, Stuart Kennedy, he sprinted to the ball, took aim and with one stump to aim at, left Johanson well short of his crease, now 102-8. With both set batters out, the game was in the balance. Smith still bowling brilliantly then bowled J.Durant. 105-9. Hudson took a liking to Wells, and hit him for 2 fours in an over followed by a couple of singles. Leaving the score at 116-9. Luckily for the Shotts Smithy decided he would not let Wells bowl another dreadful over and clean bowled Hudson, leaving Farncombe 2 runs short. 

A brilliant, crazy afternoon for Grayshott and everyone watching. Onto the next one.